Dinner tonight is sorted, and it’s one you’ll want to make on repeat for the foreseeable future: Chicken Meatballs with Zingy Tigernut Sauce. These Asian-inspired meatballs are packed with herbs and aromatics–think ginger, garlic, green onion and cilantro–and paired with an equally tasty tigernut-based sauce that will wow your taste buds and have you going back for seconds.
This quick meal comes together in a few short steps, and it’s made in one pan (plus a side dish for the sauce). These amazing meatballs get a boost from the sweet and spicy tigernut sauce, made with Natureul’s organic, non-GMO, gluten free Tigernut Spread.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 egg (or flax egg)
- ½ cup gluten free breadcrumbs or flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, coconut oil, or olive oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Natureul Tigernut Spread in Original flavor
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha, chili oil, or gochujang
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken or turkey, egg, breadcrumbs or flour, green onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Using clean hands, roll the mixture into 2-3 ounce balls, about the size of a golf ball.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and allow it to heat up for 2-3 minutes before adding the meatballs and arranging them so that none of them are touching.
- Sear the chicken meatballs for 1-2 minutes on each side until brown. Once all sides have been browned, pop the skillet into the oven for 10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- While the meatballs are in the oven, make the sauce. In a small bowl or blender cup, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, sriracha, coconut milk, and tigernut spread. Stir or blend to combine completely. Taste and adjust ratios as necessary.
- Once the meatballs are done, allow them to cool for five minutes before drizzling with the zingy tigernut sauce and serving!
How to Store Chicken Meatballs with Zingy Tigernut Sauce
Store leftover meatballs separately from the sauce in an airtight container for up to two days. If you can’t use them all in two days, freeze them instead! Place baked meatballs in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also freeze the sauce in a freezer-safe container for the same amount of time.
Tips for Making Chicken Meatballs with Zingy Tigernut Sauce
These chicken meatballs with tigernut sauce are great for lunch or dinner. Serve with rice or quinoa, steamed or roasted veggies, and sliced avocado for a well-rounded, complete meal.
Add your favorite garnishes. Pickled carrots or onions, kimchi, and more green onion are great topping choices. You can also add chopped tigernuts for an allergy-friendly crunch.
Make ahead of time for an easy, nutritious meal! Make a big batch of these chicken meatballs and tigernut sauce and freeze for a quick meal (or many meals) during a busy season.