These Gooey Chocolate Chip Tigernut Cookie Bars are almost like a brownie and a cookie had a baby–but it’s not quite a blondie or a brookie, thanks to the use of better-for-you ingredients, the resulting cookie bars are deliciously soft and gooey in the center and don’t set completely firm like a regular cookie or brownie might.
Natureul’s Tigernut Spread is the one ingredient that sets this decadent dessert apart from the rest. It adds a sweet and mildly nutty flavor, despite being completely nut free with no added sugars! The spread keeps the cookie bars moist and soft in the center, but lets the top crust over and turn golden like a typical cookie. Our Tigernut Spread changes the game with simple, wholesome, organic ingredients.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20-25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 9-12 square cookie bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour of choice (gluten free flour, tigernut flour, or almond flour will work)
- 1 egg (or flax egg), room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sweetener of choice (sugar, erythritol, maple syrup, stevia, or monkfruit can be used)
- ¾ cup Natureul Tigernut Spread in the flavor of your choice
- ¼ cup milk or plant-based milk alternative
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, sweetener, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and tigernut spread in a separate bowl until completely combined.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Add the dark chocolate chips and fold them in gently until they are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment-lined baking pan and use a rubber spatula to spread it gently and evenly all the way to the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean but slightly oily.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing into squares. Enjoy!
How to Store These Gooey Chocolate Chip Tigernut Cookie Bars
You can store these tigernut cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Refrigeration is necessary if you used dairy milk instead of a non-dairy milk in this recipe. You can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
Tips for Making the Best Gooey Chocolate Chip Tigernut Cookie Bars
Don’t skip the cool time. Because these bars are so deliciously soft and gooey, you should wait until they have cooled and set before slicing into them or risk making a mess.
If you want a sweet cold treat, you can turn them into ice cream sandwiches! Just freeze the cookie bars on a lined baking sheet after you cut them. Once they’re frozen solid, spread some slightly-thawed ice cream of your choice on the bottom of a bar and sandwich with another bar. Wrap each par tightly in parchment paper, freeze again, and enjoy!