How to make Tigernut Ice Cream (Easy Recipe)
Recipe Tutorial for Tigernut Ice Cream
This creamy and delicious dairy free tigernut ice cream comes together quickly in one short afternoon. With minimal effort, you’ll be savoring rich, decadent spoonfuls of chocolatey, velvety smooth plant-based ice cream with lush ribbons of tigernut butter. Yum! The longest part of the preparation process is waiting for the mixture of ingredients to freeze. While you’re waiting, you can prepare the rest of the very few ingredients it takes to create this delectable dessert and dream of the toppings you’ll add to the final product!
The rich flavors of this ice cream are created thanks to the addition of two scrumptious raw vegan products from the Natureul line of tigernut-based snacks: Tigernut Kasha - Crunchy Cacao Flavored and Natureul Tigernut Spread - Classic are both in the mix! Our Tigernut Kasha and Tigernut Spread are both made with the highest quality vegan ingredients. They’re naturally gluten free, lactose free, and are made with no preservatives. Because the main ingredient in both is ground organic tigernut (a tuber from the sedge family, not actually a nut!), both products are nut free as well! Their applications span far beyond just ice cream, and they can be used in any number of recipes or on their own. In this recipe, the kasha adds great texture and cacao flavor to the ice cream base and the spread adds further intrigue with swirls of nutty goodness.
Tips for the best Tigernut Ice cream
Want to use an ice cream maker instead of a blender? Simply put all the ingredients minus the tigernut spread into your ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your particular brand of machinery. Once the mixture has the consistency of ice cream, stop the ice cream maker and hand-fold the Tigernut Spread in until the ripples reach your desired thickness. For thicker ribbons, do less folding (but make sure the spread is evenly distributed throughout the ice cream). For thinner swirls, do more folding. Happy churning!
Want to increase the chocolate factor? Easy! Simply add mini chocolate chips while folding in the Tigernut Spread, or, if you’re using an ice cream machine, toss them in at the beginning with the other ingredients.
Try this alternate Flavor Combo! Swap out the Tigernut Kasha - Crunchy Cacao for the Carob and Cinnamon flavor. Go the extra mile by swapping the classic Tigernut Spread for the Aromatic Carob flavor as well, and prepare yourself for carob overload!
If you wish to make this recipe completely nut free, you can do so by substituting all of the coconut milk (canned and regular) for oat or flax milk, and then doubling the amount of Tigernut Spread. Add it to the other ingredients before freezing and be sure to stir it well — it thickens the mixture considerably and helps hold it all together.
- 1 ½ cups canned coconut milk
- ½ cup regular coconut milk, plus more for texture refinement
- ¼ cup Natureul Tigernut Kasha - Crunchy Cacao
- ¼ cup Natureul Tigernut Spread - Classic
- ⅓ cup sweetener - we like maple syrup to keep things vegan but you can use coconut sugar, cane sugar, or honey as well!
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Allergy information: This recipe contains coconut.
Instructions - How to make Tigernut Ice Cream
- Whisk together the regular coconut milk with the Tigernut Kasha until completely incorporated. The result should have the consistency of a very thin batter and should be very runny. If it’s too thick, add more coconut milk until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Thoroughly stir in the canned coconut milk, sweetener, salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour into ice cube trays or small silicone molds and freeze for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Once frozen, remove the trays and empty the frozen cubes into a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth until it reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the blender and pour or spoon into a large bowl. Quickly but gently fold in the Tigernut spread.
- If the mixture has become too liquid, freeze for 5 minutes at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately! Add your favorite toppings or eat by itself. Coconut shavings, cacao nibs, chocolate chips, vegan hot fudge, caramel sauce, cookie dough, or even Tigernut Granola — the options are endless.
We advise eating it immediately, but you can freeze it for up to one month and lightly thaw before consuming.